All you need to know about Sublimation …
First of all, you might be wondering what is sublimation?
ublimation is the process by which sublimation dyes are printed onto a transfer medium with a specially prepared inkjet printer. Thereafter, those dyes are then transferred from the medium to an object or garment under the heat and pressure delivered by a commercial heat press. Sublimation only works on garments made of polyester, or on special objects made of polyester or given a polyester coating. When the heat and pressure are applied, the dye on the transfer medium sublimates, or becomes a gas, and is then absorbed into the polyester itself; the print is actually a part of the garment/coating. It doesn’t fade easily, wear, or have any texture or weight.
- Full colour on small runs. Unlike screen printing, there is no need for separate screens, films, or a great deal of setup for sublimation. Though you may well need to have us refine your art, the process thereafter is straightforward, and on smaller orders may prove less expensive overall than screen printing.
- Less need for minimum orders. We are more likely to be able to accommodate a smaller order or re-order when you sublimate, due to the reduced amount of setup needed to print your item.
- Individual customization. Though art charges may apply for this level of customization, seeing as each garment is printed from its own transfer rather than en masse on the same set of screens, this method makes it much easier to add individual customization to each printed item.
- Lighter hand. The nature of sublimation means that prints are never heavy or thick. The garment is unchanged by the process, save for the addition of your art.
- Durability. There is no cracking or peeling in a sublimated print, they last as long as the garment.
- White/Light garments only. Sublimated colour blend with the colour on which they are printed, so the best result comes from printing on white garments. That said, though it is more expensive, you can choose to have an entire garment printed!
- Polyester garments only. Even cotton-like textured garments are being made in sublimation-friendly polyester!
- Higher price per piece in large runs. There comes a point when a large enough run of sublimation will become more expensive than traditional screen printing. That said, even if the blanks are slightly more expensive, for small runs, the reduced setup fees often make sublimation more economical for full-colour or photo-realistic designs.
Colours International is a T-shirt printing company based in Dublin 12 that delivers all across Ireland and around the world. So, if you’re looking to get T-shirt printing or custom clothing, get in touch with us.
For more information:
Visit our website: www.colours.ie
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or +353 (01) 450 4377